Sunday, July 20, 2008

gonna free fall out into nothin

I'm really sorry for not keeping this going every day. During the work week, there's not much to talk about.

Friday night I went to Kihei with my friend Brad. He's a jersey boy who used to work at the bungalow. We went to a party and hung out with some friends. I had to drive the one kid's jeep back to Wailuku. My first time driving on the island and I missed it more than I realized.

Yesterday, I met another roommate. Let's go back to before I was living here though. When I first came to check the place out there was a lady sitting on the couch. Turns out she is my boss' mom. So, I met his mom before meeting him. I thought that was funny.

Anyways, there's Danielle, my boss' mom, then there's Bill. He's an older dude in his forties and he's from Minnesota. Super cool dude. He put my bike back together for me. Yesterday I met Jeremy. He's closer to my age and I swear he played Viper on Full House. So, I'm just telling people I live with Viper.

Yesterday, Viper had to drive to Kihei to see his brother so I went with him and was gonna walk around town for a bit until he was finished, but turns out his brother was sleeping. We met up and walked around for a bit, and saw an artificial wave machine that some kids were playing on. I should have jumped in on it. Once that got boring, we left and went to this Irish Pub that's sort of hidden in the Wailea Golf Couse and had some beers. There was an irish band playing, and well, you all know how I enjoy that. We had a fun little time. After that we drove south to a point where you couldn't drive anymore. It was dark out and the stars looked absolutely amazing. Oh yeah, Viper drives a jeep with the doors off so the ride is completely windy and awesome. I love riding with windows down (or completely off) and the radio and heat on max. After an awesome ride around Maui, he introduced me to Lappert's ice cream. I had the jungle crunch flavor...very yummy.

Today we went for a small hike in the Iao Valley. The water in the valley is so cold it makes your body feel numb. We came home and then went back out towards Hana and did the bamboo hike... no where near as extreme as the commando hike, but still lots of fun.

Above you can see the path I was walking in the Bamboo Forest. It's actually really neat to just stand there and look straight up. When it gets windy all of the trees shake and you just really gotta be there to experience it.



This is Jeremy (Viper) walking ahead and leading the way. The photo is a little blurry, but you get the idea of what it's like being surrounded by bamboo trees.




This cliff here really wasn't that high, but I was nervous to jump in first. I don't trust people when they tell me it's deep. I need to see them jump in first. After finally jumping in, I just had to do it again. What you see here is me trying to figure a way to climb back up. I'm learning quickly that anything is possible out here.

On our way home we saw a pig! You hear all these stories out here about wild hogs and pigs, and if you watch LOST you know that there are pigs on the island, but I've always kind of laughed at the idea of pigs running around here. Nope, saw one today on the side of the road. They're like deer out here. It's great!

We stopped in Paia for some fish tacos and then went and jumped off sand dunes. After finally coming home and laying around for a bit, Jeremy cooked up this awesome dinner for me and the other roomie, Bill. We all ate and then moved the furniture in the living room around to make it more "homey."

I had a wonderful weekend and I couldn't have asked for more.

I scored the morning shift at work tomorrow (that's in like 6 hours actually!) and Tuesday so I'm pretty stoked for that. I'll try hitting the beach afterward and work on my color.

No comments: