Thursday, July 10, 2008

talking to the songbird yesterday


So, I'm a day late on this. "I'm sorry." (Michelle & Jamie are probably the only two who will get that!)

Wednesday proved to be the most productive, yet laziest day I've had thus far. I woke up at 4:30AM and got to work at about twenty after five. I enjoyed that shift a lot. Mostly because I have the rest of the day to do as I please. Oh, and before I forget, I got my pacific wings badge today (see photo #1). Yeah, it's official now.

I clocked out at 1:30PM and had exactly ten minutes to change and make it to the bus stop for the 1:40PM pick up.





Mission accomplished.


The bus took me to a town called Pa'ia. It was my first time out that way and I had a nice little afternoon. I found a small beach down the road that I later learned is called Blue Towell Beach (see photo #2, 3 & 4).I layed my towell out and fell asleep for an hour, then went swimming for a bit. There was a group of people hanging out further down the beach and one dude stopped to talk to me for a bit. I immediately pictured my grandmom and Aunt Pat yelling at me saying "He's a strange weirdo. Get away from him!" but I talked with him anyways. His name was Jed, which is short for Jedidiah. He is a 36 year old bartender at a local bar in Paia and seems like an awesome dude. He gave me a lift back to town so I could walk around and kill time waiting for the next bus. I was tempted to try hitchhiking, but once again, my grandmom and Aunt Pat popped into my head. My aunt always says "make sure you pack your common sense!" Well, I guess I remembered to bring it!


Anyways, there are lots of stores and restaurants in the main section of Paia. It was a nice little hippy town. On my walk back to the bus I saw a really cool looking cemetary (see photo #5) and directly across the street was a neat protestant church (see photo#6) that was kind of set on a hill. While waiting for the bus I met a 14 year old skateboarder kid who I'm still not sure whether it was a girl or boy. We'll call him lil dude. Little dude was extremely informative on a lot of topics...one of them being hitchhiking. He/She explained to me the common courtesies of hitching and was blown away when I told how it's illegal in philly and most places on the mainland. Next to the bus stop was a really neat looking tree with orange flowers (see photo #7) and across the way was my view of the ocean and sky (see photo #8).












I'm really enjoying this new found independence I feel out here. I can venture off to different places without being afraid to do it alone. It's honestly a great feeling.

I have nothing holding me back.

4 comments:

floss roche said...

Lisa these pictures are amazing. I still can't picture the nude volley ball scene on the beach. If it were Wildwood I'd think I'd run from that one. LOL I'm glad your happy and it helps to know you have friends out there. Remember you ALWAYS have a family that loves you very much here and no matter what happens we are all here for you. Sean keeps saying he's coming to visit and that would be nice someday. Not as soon as he thinks though. Lets' get you setlled in and then maybe for next years vacation Sean can come out. At least he'll be 18 then,and graduated I hope.......I love the picture of the sea turtle were you really that close? Maybe I will come out to visit for a bit too. That could be lots of fun. I'll have to price tickets but I too will not be traveling on those itsy bitsy planes in your pictures. I'm so happy your are getting the opportunity to experience this. You deserve it!!!! Lots of love
Aunt Flossie

PS I too would not advise hitchhiking. Especially alone. If you do get into a strange situation just do what my dad always taught me. Talk to yourself and yell obscenities. No one ever bothers those homeless nuts downtown. Be safe be careful and most of all have fun doing it.

Anonymous said...

That neat looking tree is all over Puerto Rico...over there it's called a "flamboyan"
...i dunno what they're called in Hawaii
they come in red, yellow, orange and purple too...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Poinciana

ps. heard about the bike situation!
ouch!

-adrian

Anonymous said...

oh yeah...

...say hi to dog the bounty hunter for me!

LISAMARIE said...

dog said: what's up, brah?