Sunday, July 6, 2008

i wish it were sunday cause that's my funday

Every Sunday is a big beach day. See, the bungalow (the hostel) has daily tours that they bring the guests on. Each day is a different tour and a more amazing experience than the previous day. Sundays, here in Maui, are spent at Makena's Big Beach and Little Beach (if you look at the pictures the first one is taken as the sun is going down, the second is overlooking the two beaches-it's obvious where the title Big and Little come in to play, the third is a sea turtle hanging out in the ocean not too far off the beach). We hang out on big beach for a while, play some volley ball, ride some waves, then around 5pm everyone heads over to Little Beach for the partying. Little Beach is "clothing optional" which makes some people a little hesitant about climbing over the rocky wall that separates big beach from little beach...they just really don't know what to expect. It's a little overwhelming at first glance, but after a minute or so you get used to it. You might even take your top off...no, I haven't done that.

Little Beach is exciting and extremely relaxing. Mostly everyone is naked, drinking, smoking and just all about having a good time. Lots of dudes playing on their drums, people juggling, nude surfing as well as nude frisbee throwing. Being there makes me feel like I time traveled to the late 60s and I'm hanging out with Jim Morrison from The Doors. I'm not even kidding.


The water out here is so clear and it feels amazing. Once you get in, you just can't pull yourself out. I found myself just floating on my back for about 25 minutes without realizing how far I floated, which reminds me, there are no lifeguards out here on Maui. I think I heard someone saying before that there is one or maybe even two beaches out here with lifeguards, but for the most part Maui is lifeguard free. You don't think about it that much, but I thought about it today when I saw how far I floated away from the beach. All I could think of was being down Wildwood and the guido lifeguards blowing their whistles because you went out so far that the water was up to your hips. Out here, you have no boundaries. You challenge yourself to do things you wouldn't normally do.

Tomorrow I start my first day of work at the new airline. I'm not as nervous as I thought I'd be. For those of you US AIRWAY friends reading, I'll be sure to let you all know just exactly how great it is working for a much smaller operations on Maui! I'm sorry...I know that's terrible of me. I don't miss it at all...yet.

No comments: